Re: Gnome security

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 everett@lsli.com wrote:

> 	Anyone have any thoughts about securing Gnome?  I want to restrict
> access to Gnome to the console.  I know how to do this with the Xserver,
> but the Gnome apps, such as the windows manager etc, listening to ports 1024
> and up make me nervous.  I searched the FAQ's and didn't find anything.

I also feel nervous about the listening on >1024 ports by default. I'm
glad I'm not the only one. Actually, I think it's insanity, considering
there _have_ been holes in the generic ORBit code.

I think you can limit listening sockets to UNIX domain sockets by placing
a setting in a ".orbit" file or something. I'm sure someone will jump in
and point out the correct syntax ;-)

Cheers
Chris