Re: Desktop background

Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> > avoid. Wmakerconf is the configuration utility belonging to the
> > WindowMaker (alias wmaker) window manager. Gnome seems indeed to leave
> > this config option up to the wm, which can or can't do this special
> > task.
>
>         If "this config option" means the background, then no, Gnome does
> not leave it to the window manager.  Gnome tries to control the background
> itself.
>
>         This leads to the weird situation where you have two
> backgrounds--one from the window manager, and one from Gnome.
>
>         On my Mandrake 6.1 system, Enlightenment will first start up with
> its background (the default, white "Mandrake"-logo background) and then,
> after one or two seconds, Gnome draws its background (the background I
> configured using the GNOME Config Tool).
>
>         If I go into the Enlightenment configuration tool and start
> fscking with the background, all hell breaks loose.  Things get even worse
> if I try to use a window manager other than E.
>
>         Just another headache caused by the inexplicable desire to support
> every window manager...

As I recall, the heart of the question was whether or not the GNOME
background capplet had a way of controlling per workspace background
images. The problem with GNOME controlling this as I understand it is
that it is the wm that does the background switching as the workspaces
are switched. I do admit ignorance wrt the GNOME wm protocol, but I
would not be suprised if workspace/background information was not part
of the spec. Someone else know more about this want to add to this?

I had actually asked about enhancing the background capplet to support
multiple workspace background selections some time ago, don't remember
any responses. I agree that it would be a great idea in the interests of
simplifying usability if it could do this.

As for the headache of both E and GNOME having backgrounds enabled, it
is my opinion that it is as much a distribution flaw as anything, one or
the other should have been defaulted to off by the distribution
packagers such as Mandrake or RedHat. I have Mandrake 7.0 installed now,
but can't say if E was configured to use it's background config or not
as I don't use E, like many others I have migrated to Sawmill which does
not afaik do backgrounds.

--
TTFN
MikeB

Application development is a race between software engineers who
try to create fool proof programs and the universe which is trying to
develop superior fools.

	So far, the universe is winning.
	Let's not give it any help...