libxml installation "issues"

<NEWBIE clue="off">

Ok, I'm lost here.

I was trying to install libxml-1.8.6 from ftp.gnome.org.  I
downloaded the tarball, and did "rpm -tb libxml-1.8.6.tar.gz", and
that worked fine without a hitch.

However, when I went to install that tarball, it would complain about
a missing prerequisite: /sbin/install-info.  The file existed, though.

I went in to the spec and removed the pre-req, and it installed fine.

So, what was I missing?  I'm assuming that removing the line from the
spec file is not the right thing to do, but it seems to work fine.

thanks,

r.

</NEWBIE>