enlightenment problems

i am a newbie running slackware 7.0 on my PC. I upgraded from
enlightenment .15 to .16 yesterday, basically by getting rid of all the
old enlightenment folders, then installing .16. now when i login as my
username and select gnome (i am using kdm as my x session manager), it
takes me into enlightenment w/out gnome. it isnt until i left mouse
click on the desktop and get into a gnome program that my icons pop up.
also, i dont have any sort of task bar at the bottom. in addition, when
i login as root, it gets into gnome w/out enlightenment and tells me
that i am not using a valid window manager. why cant i run gnome as my
username, but can in root? how do i fix this?