Re: shutdown prompt question

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Sean Middleditch <sean.middleditch@iname.com> writes:
> > That is a "feature" of you linux distribution, I believe.  Are you using
> > RedHat?  It using a program called consolehelper to allow users to easily run
> > root-only programs (like halt and reboot) if you know the root password.
>
> No it lets you run them using your own password. It requires your own
> password because by default it's supposed to be secure in a public
> computer lab or whatever (though I suppose people could just
> control-alt-delete anyway so I'm not sure I get it).

Yes, root password or user password, or the password of any other user, I believe.
 I'm not too sure on it's specifics.

> > You'll have to reconfigure that program.  The links to halt and
> > reboot in /usr/bin are just symlinks to consolehelper.  Remoe those,
> > and make symlinks to the actual programs (they should be /sbin or
> > /usr/sbin).
> >

> That won't work unless you change yourself to have the right to run
> reboot/shutdown directly, which is somewhat less secure (not that it
> matters here on a home desktop system).

The actual  commands have root privaledges, I believe.  I have been able to run
them as a normal user.  If they aren't, you can always chmod 4777 on the halt and
reboot executables (or the shutdown executable, since all halt and reboot do is
call that program).

Sean Middleditch