Re: shutdown prompt question

Dave S wrote:

> Hi all,
>   i've just started using gnome with Enlightment as my window manager and i
> have one question:
>
> When i log out as a regular user and i select "Reboot" or "Halt", it prompts
> me for the user password.  When i log out as root and select the same
> options, it does not prompt me.
>
> Or if i just logged out as a normal user, i can then choose "halt" or
> "reboot" from the login menu and not have to give a password.
>
> So my question is: Is there any way to turn off prompting regular users when
> the HALT or REBOOT option is chosen upon logout?
> I've looked in the control panel, under Startup Programs, there is an option
> called "Prompt on logout".  That is currently un-selected for me and makes
> no difference if i have it selected or not.
> Is there another option somewhere else i'm missing?
>
> Any help, hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

That is a "feature" of you linux distribution, I believe.  Are you using
RedHat?  It using a program called consolehelper to allow users to easily run
root-only programs (like halt and reboot) if you know the root password.
You'll have to reconfigure that program.  The links to halt and reboot in
/usr/bin are just symlinks to consolehelper.  Remoe those, and make symlinks to
the actual programs (they should be /sbin or /usr/sbin).

Sean Middleditch