Re: Not good (was: ALT moving windows)

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 03:49:04PM -0800 or thereabouts, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
Federico said:
> > This is an Enlightenment configuration issue.
> [...]
> > WindowMaker does not handle session management properly.  Use a window
> > manager that does session management, such as Sawmill or Enlightenment.

Derek said:

[pointed story snipped]
I know another joke like that. When lost, someone asks for directions,
and is told, "Well, I wouldn't start from here."

> 	I keep imagining my mother trying to use Gnome.  If I can't figure
> out how to configure E, how would she?

I also had had trouble switching from Gnome's initial window manager of
enlightenment to the one I am more used to: windowmaker. This cleared
up after a series of upgrades of both OS (RH Linux) and Gnome (from
"whatever came with RH 6.1" to October Gnome to gnome-core and gnome-libs
1.0.54 and 1.0.55), but it was a frustrating experience.

> 	And why does WindowMaker show up in the Gnome Configuration Tool
> as a window manager option if it actually breaks Gnome?

It's also listed in the FAQ as one of those which are definitely
Gnome-compliant. If there's really that much of a problem (and I've
had the occasional session-management issue myself), should it be
in the "fully compliant" section?

I really like windowmaker's look and feel. This is not gnome-gui-list
so I shalln't get into "why wmaker's menus feel nicer" :) I would hate
to have to stop using either it or Gnome. But answers like "Use a
different window manager" are rather like telling people to "get a
better mailer" or "learn The Other Text-Editor". People get used to
their favourites.

I do think that something explaining the session management problem
should be added to the gnome-faq: ideally explaining what it is,
and which occasions and apps are likely to bring it up. I think I
remember that one of the pager/tasklist/etc applications won't work
happily with windowmaker, for instance..? Just telling people what
they can expect can work wonders!

Telsa