Gnome and X Failure (#2) -- Problem Solved

For benefit of other casual users with occasional, unexplained X and gnome problems, here is the solution to my last problem:
Inability to login through the Red Hat GUI (using the gnome desktop):

I have had this problem at least two times, both times caused by different events.

1.  The first time it happened, I eventually found a problem with my .cshrc file which generated a script error.  That was
interfering with the whole GUI login process and kicking me back out to the login prompt.

2.  The second time it happened, I had a runaway program (my bad) which filled the root disk and apparently hosed my configuration
somehow.  I had to reinstall the X system to recover.

Yes, it may not be a gnome problem directly, but it is highlighted through the gnome desktop login process.

Tom Browder