Re: no desktop

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, lee wrote:

> i was playing around with ibms websphere for linux and
> gimp..........other stuff running too along with nestcape which was prob
> my worst mistake :)lol..
>
> anyway my HD starting running endlessly and finally shutdown everything
> and tried to reboot...but upon reboot no longer does gdm come
> up............only a purplish dark? screen and it locks up...........
>
> i tried redoing  Xconfigurator no luck..
>
> running redhat7
>
> I know there's a way out of this i just don't recall as this hardly ever
> happens
>
> thanks
> lee

Can you reboot the system in a different runlevel, such as runlevel 3
perhaps?  At the LILO prompt enter "linux 3" and that should boot you into
runlevel 3, which does not initialize the X scripts.  At that point, you
should be able to redo the "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file.  I usually keep a
backup copy of that file all the time simply by renaming it to something
like "/etc/X11/XF86Config.bak".

If the '/usr/bin/X11/Xconfigurator' command does not work (try the whole
path, just in case), you may want to run '/usr/bin/X11/xf86config'.  It's
text-based, but I think it's far more reliable too.

Nitebirdz
Thus spake the master programmer:
"You can demonstrate a program for a corporate
executive, but you can't make him computer literate."