Re: How to get to dependencies?

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> > If you build from source you should not need a -devel package.
>

> My experience tells me otherwise. It happened to me with gnome-print, when
> i ran './configure' on Balsa, it failed to find gnome-print, even thought
> gnome-print was installed. Installing gnome-print-devel solved the problem.

Sorry. I wasn't very clear about this before. Here's how I understand it:

If you want to build "a" from source, and "a" depends on "b", you need to
either:

1) install b.rpm (which installs the binaries) and b-devel.rpm (which
installs the header files needed for compilation of programs that will
link against "b"), or
2) build and install b.tar.gz. (there will be no b-devel.tar.gz, b.tar.gz
takes care of the whole thing)

So if you install gtkhtml from an rpm, you'll also need a gtkhtml-devel
rpm. But as gtkthml only exists in source, there will be no "devel"
version. (Look through the ftp directories at ftp.gnome.org
and ftp.helixcode.org and you'll see that there are no "devel"
packages accompanying the tarballs, but there are "devel" versions
of the rpms. That's why.)

Cheers,

John