Re: How to get to dependencies?

Fernan -

Sorry you are having difficulty. The underlying problem is that, while
Balsa is relatively stable, gtkhtml and gal are still in the "unstable"
branch of the gnome ftp server.

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> I am trying to compile Balsa-1.0.1 with gtkhtml support.
> I have at hand gtkhtml 0.6.1, and 0.7.
>
> When i searched for gtkhtml on rpmfind.net i've learned that this package
> is at ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/unstable/sources/gtkhtml/, however
> there is no gtkhtml-devel package there.

If you build from source you should not need a -devel package.

> On the other hand gtkhtml-0.7 does not configure, because it needs this:
>
> 'checking for Gnome App libraries (GAL) >= 0.2... configure: error: Did not
> find GnomeAppLib (GAL) installed'

gal is still in the unstable branch of the Gnome ftp server, but helixcode
has released packages: ftp.helixcode.com/distributions

> Now gal-0.4.1 won't configure because my libxml is not supported yet (needs
> 1.8.8 and i have 2.0)

Alas, Gnome programs use the libxml 1.x series - 1.8.10 is the latest
version. Again, helixcode is your friend if you are using rpms.

> ---
> Question now is how does the Gnome Project organizes itself?
> Is there any central repository of libraries, files and packages?
> ---

Yes. Everything you need is at ftp.gnome.org if you want to build from
source. Look in the "stable" branch for the latest stable sources, and the
"unstable" branch for the stuff still in development.

Not to sound too defensive on behalf of my Gnome friends, but you are
building new software that uses stuff out at the pointy end of the
development spear, where stuff is always more complicated.

Cheers,

John