Re: helix-update

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 02:44:56PM -0600, Bill Guelker wrote:
> I'd rather the learning curve remain steep  with working software than use
> broken software designed for children.

Just so you know not everyone is having your experience, I have been using
Helix (including the updater) since it was first available, and have since
starting using it on around fifteen machines around my office and several
laptops with varying hardware, versions of Red Hat, and previously
installed RPMs.  Not one person has had any troubles such as you describe,
and several have commented on how much happier they are knowing that they
can get seamless, well-tested updates without any pain.  None of these
people are Windows users... They are all experienced Unix programmers who
could download their own RPMs from rpmfind.net if they chose to do so.

I can only imagine that something is out of sync on your machine.  Gnome
has NEVER seemed as stable with non-Helix RPMs, even on the base RH7 Gnome
installation which was nearly identical to the Helix RPMs from a few weeks
before.

--
Bret Mogilefsky  ** mogul gelatinous com **  Programmer, SCEA R&D