Messed up theme?

I'm not sure if this is a GTK issue or GNOME issue, so I'll try here
first...

OK, for starts, this is with the standard theme.  Using the latest Helix
Code packages, on Mandrake 7.1 Linux.

On a lot of programs, the drop-down lists (example - the location bar in
Galeon) doesn't look quite right.  The button with down-pointing arrow
is drawn in white, instead of the gray it should be.  In other
places/apps the button is drawn correctly (for example, it's working
fine in the settings dialog).

Also, some buttons, such as the icon button selections in the panel
capplet of control-center, are also showing in pure white instead of the
grayish color they used to.

I'm not at all sure when this started, only that it was a few weeks ago
- it may have been when I installed the preview of meta-themes,although
I have since uninstalled that.

Sean Etc.