Re: Trying to fix a stupid mistake

Back when I was first starting out with Linux I have gone through
several re-installs to correct my mistakes. After a while, you'll learn
not to make those mistakes or how to correct those mistakes. In your
case, it would be easier to scrap your installation and start over from
scratch - repartion and reformat and reinstall. Hopefully you'll take it
as a learning experience rather than a setback. Once installed - only
use the computer as a user and not as root - excepting when you need to
edit certain configuration files or install software and even then only
dip into root as su - su then password in an xterm, then when the task
is complete return to normal user - Ctrl-D. Your problem illustrates
exactly why Linux and Unix in general has adopted a permissions based
system of administration - users can't really do critical damage to the
system and all the power is relegated to root.

Good luck and welcome to the Jungle...

Mike