Re: help changing the lock button

On  5 Dec, Tim Tregubov wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to change the functionality of the lock
> button in the main panel menu.  I don't want a users default to be to use
> xscreensaver for the lock button on the gnome panel.  I'd rather be using
> xlock, because it has a feature to let other people use the machine
> (ie. lab machine).
>
> So I've been trying to figure this out, and it seems that the lock button
> action is hardcoded into panel?!?!  why oh why?  I've been trying to
> recompile panel to use xlock instead but am coming to the conclusion that
> this might take more effort than its worth... Has anyone ever done this
> before. Am I just overlooking something really simple???

Maybe. I just removed the original lock button, then created a new one
(using the same icon!) which calls xlock . . .

$ cat Applet_18.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=xlock
Comment=Lock Screen
Exec=xlock
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-lockscreen.png
Terminal=false
MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application

Barthel