RE: relax, was: ma config exacte et question de methode

--------------Replied message--------------
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:31:13 +0100
From: Etienne de Bary <edebary club-internet fr>
To: gnome-list gnome org
Subject: relax, was: ma config exacte et question de methode

     i didn't mean to send this message in french,
i just did not check the cc when replying

     don't go, i'll still need a lot of help !

Like : where do i put the directory after installing a tar.gz app
and how do i get to have icons in the panel menu ?

     yours,
--
     Etienne de Bary

Cher Etienne,

(Now switching to english because I haven't spoken or written
french in 8 years :-), if by a .tar.gz app you mean something you've
compiled yourself, they usually go under the appropriate directory
in /usr/local (in fact, GNU autoconf will put that as a default in the
configure script). So utilities would go to /usr/local/bin, libraries in
/usr/local/lib, if you'd compiled Window Maker it would
presumably go in /usr/local/share/WindowMaker.
On the other hand for compressed binaries (e.g. Star Office), you'd
have to create a directory (mkdir <application name>) under /opt,
as the /opt tree is specifically meant for binary-only applications.
There might be a few nuances I've missed, but this is the FHS
standard as described in my system's online documentation.
Adding things to your Panel menu is just a matter of figuring out
the executable name for your app and adding it to the menu using
the menu editor.

Hope this helps,

Mart van de Wege