Re: Compiling Gnome

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Mart van de Wege wrote:

> I have the Gnome stable source, version 1.2.0, as tarballs. Last time
> I compiled them by hand (with --prefix =/usr because I got sick of
> the error messages), Gnome worked fine, except it didn't show up
> in the sessions menu in the login screen. My trouble started after
> logging in in KDE,  I couldn't get Gnome back.
> 1. If I compile by hand, how do I get gdm to recognize Gnome?

Put a file like this into /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions (or wherever your gdm
config is), name it 'Gnome' and make it executable:

--- 8< --- /etc/X11/gdn/Sessions/Gnome ---
#!/bin/bash -login

gnome-session
--- >8 -----------------------------------

As you guessed it, this file is included in the packaged GNOME.

> 2. Compiling with rpm -tb solves this, but now my panel icons are
> gone. Any pointers on solving this?

Hmm, not at the moment, sorry.

> 3. Can I compile by hand and then use rpm to build a binary insted
> of using make install? If yes, how?

No, RPM requires to control all of the build process so that a certain
build is reproducible.

Nils
--
         Nils Philippsen / +49.711.96437.250 / nils@redhat.de
       Red Hat GmbH / Hauptstätter Straße 58 / D70178 Stuttgart