Re: Freature suggestion for gnome 2.0

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Craig Orsinger wrote:
>         Or, perhaps, add a "LongName" field to the .desktop file,
> which would default to being "Name"? I suspect programmers who
> actually put a Comment field in the .desktop files imagine these
> strings being in a tooltip balloon, not the menus themselves.

While there have been a number of good ideas already, I'd just like to say
that I'm proposing exactly two things, and nothing more:

1) A _very_minor_ patch to the panel to be able to display either the
Name or the Comment field from a .desktop file.

2) Create and enforce guidelines that clearly dictate what information is
in the "Name" and "Comment" fields so that they can be useful.  If the
programmers "who actually put a Comment field in the .desktop files" don't
know what to put there, then tell them.  Standards are good.  Coherence is
good, too.

BTW, is this the right list for such a proposition? or should it be on the
gnome-devel list?  Sometimes I can't tell.

>         I also like the idea of being able to find out what the
> Exec field is somehow by right clicking or some other means.

I agree.  For that, I would always allow the "Properties" item of the
right-click menu to be accessable (which is not the current behavior), and
make the fields of the properties window read only if the file is read
only.  Simple change, but beyond the scope of what I'm proposing right
now.

MSG