ssh-agent and gnome?

has anyone had any luck using ssh-agent (from openssh) to start their gnome-session? I've tried putting it in my .gnomerc (I start gnome from GDM) as "ssh-agent gnome-session" but it doesn't start ssh-agent (or at least, it fails to stay started..) and certainly doesn't pass the environment vars to everything. as it stands, I hacked it to work by having it echo the correct environment vars into a file that then gets sourced by my .tcshrc, but of course that only works if I want to ssh from a tcsh.

TIA,
  Matt

--
Matt Stockdale