Unable to save desktop icon layout in Gnome 1.2!!!

I know this subject has been brought up before, but I haven't
seen anyone post a solution! (I've searched newsgroups and mailing
lists for GNOME, HelixCode, and Mandrake).

When I logout from GNOME, the logout box that pops up asks me
if I want to "Save current setup", which I click, and press the "Yes"
button, however, when I restart the X-server, my icons are placed
in their original positions, all lined up on the left side of the
screen.

This used to work before I "upgraded" to 1.2.  Any help or workaround
would be most appreciated.

BTW, I'm using enlightenment as the window manager.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Gen