Re: xterm and mutt

On  0, Albert Schueller <schuelaw@whitman.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Subba Rao (subb3@attglobal.net):
> > My email client is Mutt. When I open up a large xterm and start mutt,
> > the mutt only uses half the xterm. If I resize the xterm and start mutt
> > then the full terminal is used.
> >
> > Is anyone else is experiencing this problem too? Is there any recommended
> > solution for this, other than resizing the xterm all the time?
> >
> > My system has Gnome with Sawfish.
>
> Are you using a real xterm or gnome-term or some other term?  I'd
> recommend getting your xterm from:
>
> http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/xterm/xterm.html
>
> This is a color xterm and I think is the one distributed with XFree86.
> I'd recommend getting the source and compiling from scratch.  It's one
> of the first things I do when I do an new linux installation.  The one
> that comes with XFree86 is probably ok too, but I seem to remember
> having some problems with it a long time ago.  I've never had any
> trouble with this xterm.  I'm a color mutt and vim user and they both
> work well under resizing in this term.

Thanks for replying. I have downloaded the latest xterm. To allow mutt and
manpages to use the whole terminal, I add "resize" command in /etc/profile
(which I think is clumsy way of working around). This still does not allow
me to define different xterms with different attributes. I would like declare
different xterms with different fonts and sizes.

I could do this easily in FVWM2. I am having big time difficulty to get this
to work in Gnome/Sawfish. I would like to continue using Gnome/Sawfish if possible.
If not, can I still use the Gnome applications in FVWM2?

PS - One other thing I have noticed, I start a Eterm session, the terminal starts
but is not visible on the desktop. It appears in the pager and in the process list.

--

Subba Rao
subb3@attglobal.net

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com