Re: Sound Problems....Solved :-)

Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com> writes:

>> There is some application which changes permission and ownership of
>> sound devices running around in the redhat stable (the same thing
>> happened to me with a redhat-6.1 computer -- since I am not getting
>> paid to track it down, I have not bothered looking into it further :-)
>
> PAM console handlers. It is done for security reasons. Do you really want
> arbitary users able to listen to your microphone input ?

Good enough reason (but I do not have microphones connected, so it is
not a big security risk on my end compared to all the other holes I
have either not bothered to fix, or deliberately punched through (I am
such a lazy bum :-) -- I just hope some cracker does not discover the
hole in my firewall (but since I figure he would have to get root on
my ISP's system first, I do not sweat over this very much :-))