Experimenting with gnome

Hey All!

Pardon my ignorance - I searched through a few months of archives, but
could not find the answer to my question:

Background:

I'd like to experiment with Gnome on the Solaris-based network which we
have here in our department. Our sysadmin neither likes to experiment,
nor likes to install unix apps (he's much more of a WinXX type). I'm not
a complete newbie, but I'm by no means expert when goofing around with
unix.

Desire:

I'd like to install Gnome into my home directory, so that I can give it a
spin.

Question:

Is there a way to install Gnome without being root?

TIA for any help,

Bill