Re: Compiling gnome on Solaris 2.7

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 02:14:23PM -0400, Ben Taylor wrote:

> >From: Jan Houtsma <jan@houtsma.net>
>
> >You also have to make sure your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or
> >compiler -L switch points to the corresponding dir where the libdb.so
> >can be found.
>
> Ugh.  In Solaris, only use LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you download someone
> else executable and it doesn't find the libraries properly.
>
> You can get Solaris to properly find libraries not in /usr/lib by
> either exporting
>
> LDFLAGS="-L<odd-lib dir>/lib -R<odd-lib dir>/lib"
>
> before configuring.  Otherwise, if you are compiling a shared
> library like libesd (Esound), export
>
> LD_RUN_PATH="<odd-lib dir>/lib: etc et al"
>
> before you compile.
>
> The only problem I've had with things linking to libdb is that
> my libdb is compiled up with c++ extensions, and I have to add
> -lstdc++ to the LIBS in the configure script.
>
> Check out http://www.clark.net/pub/bent/Solaris8-X86/GNOME
> for tips on building Gnome on Solaris.
>
> Ben
>
> Use LD_LIBRARY_PATH only when you don't control the code (IE,
> you download an executable. ) Otherwise, make sure your LDFLAGS
> has "-L<wherever BerkeleyDB is>/lib -R<berkdb>/lib" in your
> environment before you configure, or have LD_RUN_PATH set with
> appropriate directories.
>
> Check out http://www.clark.net/pub/bent/Solaris8-X86/GNOME
>
> Some software is broke, and you have to fix it.  Others just require
> a little subtle tuning and configure does all the work for you.

Yep. i completely agree. Thats what i do. LDFLAGS is a better way.
I edited the configure script to add the -L/l options!
Thats hacking. your way is better :)

I didnt have problems compiling GNOME. however on a solaris 2.6.
But that shouldnt make too much difference.

My db links correctly.
Make sure its compiled with 1.85 compatibility (or something like that).

And make sure db_185.h is included wherever dbopen etc. is called.
But configure should do that although i had to 'hack' configure again to
pass the db check (char dbopen() gave a compile error as expected because
it expects parameters and returnvalue).

jan