Re: Compiling gnome on Solaris 2.7

>From: Jan Houtsma <jan@houtsma.net>

>You also have to make sure your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or
>compiler -L switch points to the corresponding dir where the libdb.so
>can be found.

Ugh.  In Solaris, only use LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you download someone
else executable and it doesn't find the libraries properly.

You can get Solaris to properly find libraries not in /usr/lib by
either exporting

LDFLAGS="-L<odd-lib dir>/lib -R<odd-lib dir>/lib"

before configuring.  Otherwise, if you are compiling a shared
library like libesd (Esound), export

LD_RUN_PATH="<odd-lib dir>/lib: etc et al"

before you compile.

The only problem I've had with things linking to libdb is that
my libdb is compiled up with c++ extensions, and I have to add
-lstdc++ to the LIBS in the configure script.

Check out http://www.clark.net/pub/bent/Solaris8-X86/GNOME
for tips on building Gnome on Solaris.

Ben

Use LD_LIBRARY_PATH only when you don't control the code (IE,
you download an executable. ) Otherwise, make sure your LDFLAGS
has "-L<wherever BerkeleyDB is>/lib -R<berkdb>/lib" in your
environment before you configure, or have LD_RUN_PATH set with
appropriate directories.

Check out http://www.clark.net/pub/bent/Solaris8-X86/GNOME

Some software is broke, and you have to fix it.  Others just require
a little subtle tuning and configure does all the work for you.

Ben