HELP! :)

okay....where to start?..ha
6.0/2.2.5-15 kernel..
just upgraded to helix gnome 1.2 from what came with redhat 6.0

kernel change to allow for (scsi paramaters )   use of ( only way to
setup far as i know from what i'm seen on various lists and readmes) my
cdrw/cd drives for burning etc.

anyway this issue i have before me affects BOTH kde and gnome....usually
gnome has always been the    desktop ( darn because I prefer gnome with
its advnaced apm) that eventually locked up on me.......

anyway now.....both desktops do.....i load a program say anything..then
try another and it won't load only hd spins.......logout/in doesn't work
anymore........just sits at grey screen......

system hangs eventually and logout does no good.......

anyone know what on earth is going on.?..:)

i wonder if i'm going to have to reformat and start over..eek!@

thanks for any tips

lee