Re: remote gnome session

>I have installed Redhat 6.2 with gnome.  Have
>setup XF86Config to fit my video there and locally
>it's working pretty well.  I'd like to be able to
>let other users on the machine telnet in from
>other unix work stations (actually NCDs) and start
>up a gnome session remotely.  Is this
>feasible/recommended?

Yes, you can do it. I have one and sometimes three machines hanging from a
normal PC (plus one or more local X) working with any serious problems. It
is the old remote server trick, with XDM. Well, now I use use GDM to serve
logins. In the clients I just launch "X -query server.machine" (you can use
other methods, like indirect). I dunno how to setup NCDs, but I know that
people use them, IIRC in /usr/doc/HOWTO you can find an example about NCD
and Linux ("grep -r NCD *" there... or was -R?).

You should read the GDM docs and the following link to learn more about X
terminals: http://www.menet.umn.edu/~kaszeta/unix/xterminal/index.html

There is other solutions, of course, like VNC, but I think *DM are the best
if you can setup the machines as you want. With old PCs as terminals it is
great, not usable to play Quake, but enought to do office work.

If you need an example I can pass you my files. They work pretty well,
except a trick to ring the bell and alert the user, but that is secondary.

Good luck.

GSR