Re: Long logins

> Another interesting thing is that whenever I am in one of these long login
> states, and it finally does open up the session, I can't log out. I have to
> use Ctrl-Alt-BS to end the session, which, as you can imagine, is a pain.
> However, when it logs in normally, logging out is not a problem.

I dont know why, but I belive it's a gdm problem.  I used to suffer from
the same problems, and as I leave my machine on 24/7 it wasnt a real
problem until it started crashing...  it took me a while to fugure it
out but a couple of days after the symptom you described I or another
user would log out and gdm would startup and crash instantly resulting
in X being restarted only to have gdm crash in a never ending loop
unless I could switch to alt-f1 type screen and telinit 3, then a telint
5 and all would be fine.

This seems to have stoped aftr I installed October Gnome.