Re: Problem with gnome rpm

> I have been trying to install enlightenment 0.16.4-1 under RedHat Linux
> (6.2). When I try to do that I have the following error message:
>
> # rpm -F --test enlightenment-0.16.4-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         windowmanager is needed by gnome-core-1.0.55-12
>
> What is strange is that if I go to the gnome web site the package I
> found in the download section is version 1.0.53-2. The version 1.0.55-12
> is provided with RedHat Linux 6.2.
>
> Does anybody have any idea how to fix this problem ?

The problem is that the gnome-core RPM (or Red Hat's version of it,
anyway) now requires the virtual capability "windowmanager" ; window
manager distributions are expected to include this in their "provides"
list. Now, it looks like this isn't always the case for the Enlightenment
RPMs, in fact you may be able to find different RPMs for the same version
of E of which some list this capability, and some don't. This is probably
also true for some other WMs.

You are probably trying to replace a RPM that provides "windowmanger" (the
enlightenment RPM on the RedHat CD) with one that don't.

There are several ways around this problem, including:

  1. Pass the flag --nodeps when installing enlightenment.
  2. Try to find a different release of the RPM that provides
     "windowmanager".
  3. Download and unpack the source rpm, then add "windowmanager" to
     "Provides:" in the .spec file and re-build.
  4. Install a different window manager that also provides "windowmanager",
     e.g. try  sawmill-0.24-3.i386.rpm from the RedHat 6.2 CD.

- Toralf