CVS access

(Apologies if this isn't the proper list; please point me to the correct
one.)

I'm trying to use CVS (to work around the multiple visual problems of my
work Solaris box; see the Gnome on Solaris thread for details).

I'm following the instructions on
<URL:http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html>, and they aren't working. I
export the CVSROOT variable, but when I do `cvs login`, I get the message:

connect to anoncvs.gnome.org:2401 failed: Connection refused

What am I doing wrong? (Caveat: I did not build the cvs client I'm using;
it's from our local network, so it's possible that some default setting
isn't 'stock'.)

Thanks for any pointers,
john.

--