Re: Help with GDM

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Lane <miles@speakeasy.org> writes:

Miles> I have a different problem with GDM2.  I am running the latest
Miles> development kernels.  Unfortunately, the way shrmem works has
Miles> been changed.  Now, prebuilt GDM packages give me executables
Miles> that crash when I run them.

Hmmm. GDM doesn't use shared memory.

Could you please check syslog/display log for info?

Or even better: Run gdb on gdm -nodaemon and mail me the backtrace.

Miles> I am left attempting to get GDM2 to run after building and
Miles> installing it from CVS source.

Make sure you use the STABLE branch.

Miles> The problem I have is that I cannot seem to get the Xauth stuff
Miles> to work.  I have added the requisite entries to /etc/pam.d/gdm,
Miles> I have the /var/gdm directory correctly configured, permissions
Miles> and ownershipwise.  I am totally flumoxed.  I have tried for
Miles> over a day to get the damn thing to work, to no avail.  I've
Miles> tried setting the various "dir" prefixes to make sure all my
Miles> settings were being found, but that hasn't helped.

Don't know about Debian. You might want to check how the official GDM
package is wrapped up.

Miles> I must say, a fairly obvious "fix" that would seem to me to be
Miles> obvious would be to have the installation proceedure check
Miles> which distribution was being used (at least for Mandrake, SUSE,
Miles> RedHat, Debian) and then install the various pieces in the same
Miles> places that the packages for those distributions use.  It just
Miles> seems that setting up GDM is harder than it needs to be
Miles> (comments in the gdm2/INSTALL notwithstanding).

Well.  I simply don't have time to figure out how GDM should be
integrated in every Linux/BSD/Solaris/whatever installation.  If
somebody (preferably the official GDM packagers for each distribution)
are willing to do the required automake/autoconf magic, I'd be more
than happy to apply the patches.

--
Martin K. Petersen	Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/		XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME, SunSITE Denmark