Re: Help with GDM

I have a different problem with GDM2.  I am running the
latest development kernels.  Unfortunately, the way
shrmem works has been changed.  Now, prebuilt GDM packages
give me executables that crash when I run them.  I am
left attempting to get GDM2 to run after building and
installing it from CVS source.

The problem I have is that I cannot seem to get the
Xauth stuff to work.  I have added the requisite
entries to /etc/pam.d/gdm, I have the /var/gdm
directory correctly configured, permissions and
ownershipwise.  I am totally flumoxed.  I have tried
for over a day to get the damn thing to work, to
no avail.  I've tried setting the various "dir" prefixes
to make sure all my settings were being found, but that
hasn't helped.

I must say, a fairly obvious "fix" that would seem to
me to be obvious would be to have the installation
proceedure check which distribution was being used
(at least for Mandrake, SUSE, RedHat, Debian) and
then install the various pieces in the same places
that the packages for those distributions use.
It just seems that setting up GDM is harder than it
needs to be (comments in the gdm2/INSTALL notwithstanding).

	Miles