error opening /home/$user/.gnome

Hi

I have had this question for a while now... on many Gnome apps, it get the
following error:

Gnome-ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory
</home/pat/.gnome> - aborting

aborting...
IOT trap/Abort

Now I find this odd due to the fact that that directory exists already and
several programs use it (such as GnomeICU).  This problem has followed me
every since I installed gnome off the Slackware 4.0 cds... I installed
October Gnome and have since moved on into the 1.1.x series, but this
problem still follows me.

Some of the programs that do this are:  gnome-napster, gicq, pan, gnomexmms

This is only a few of them, there are several more as well.  This was
probably covered already but the archiving system for this mailing list is
terrible from what I have seen.

Pat
---
Spruce: whaddaya want me to do? Kill him again!?