Re: Error compiling gnome core 1.0.41

On 30 Sep, jgotts@old.tqstats.com wrote:

> [Perhaps some of this information could be added to the FAQ.]

Absolutely--this is the first time I encountered this strange problem.

> To compile GNOME on libc 5 systems, you will need to hand-compile several
> source files, removing all instances of -I/usr/include.  This is a strange bug
> which I never got around to pinpointing exactly.  What it boils down to is that
> gcc 2.7.2.3 (and probably other versions) under libc 5 includes header files in
> a different order if you manually specify -I/usr/include.  This only affects
> the source files that use INT_MAX and similar constants.

Any possibility that the #if clauses that handle whether #include_next
is usable might be part of the problem? (I kludged around it by forcing
the #else branch to be used--but in the future I'll follow your advice.)

> I've also found that
> you must compile libgnome (part of gnome-libs) with -D_REENTRANT under libc 5
> or many GNOME programs will crash on startup.

Oooh! Thank you in advance very much! I'll recompile that pronto! (I
haven't yet restarted Gnome.) For convenience, my prior Gnome install
was done via the Slackware packages, but as they aren't updated as
frequently as I'd like, I'm doing all my updates via source.

> The other unusual aspect of my
> libc 5 system is that I recompiled all of the X libraries -D_REENTRANT, which
> may or may not be required for GNOME to work properly.  (It was required to
> compile a threaded Wine.)

I "cheated" here, and simply grabbed a set of 'thread-safe' X libs for
an earlier Wine update. I don't mind a little B&D, but I'm not into
masochism . . . ;-)

Again, thanks for the illumination!

Barthel
--
 kknerrsr@ptdprolog.net | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063

A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.