Status dock

What exactly is the panel status dock going to be good for? Why do we
need it? To me it looks like yet another docking method, but then I'm not
Enlightened.

I would appreciate it if development news like this would appear in
the Gnotices or the Gnome Summary with some additional explanation.
I'd have loved to have seen items like "Panel supports tear-off menus
now" in the Gnome news.

Non-coders like to know what the code is good for that the coders
write so gracefully...

mawa
--
"The DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run."