Re: Memory leaks maybe netscape

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Georges-Henry PORTEFAIT wrote:
> I'm using GNOME on a SUSE  system (pentium II  Mb of RAM)
>
> I noticed that each time I close netscape ( I.e end the application ) a bit of memory is
> no longer avalaible. Which means that even if the process is terminated the memory is kind
> of lost forever. Not quite if I end the gnome session and then leave the X server I'll get
> my memory back.
>
> So that's why the question is in this list !!
>
> Does that make sense to anyone ?? any idea to solve this ??

This is normal, it is nothing to worry about. Linux just keeps stuff in
memory in case it needs it again; if you actually need to use that memory
then Linux will free it up again.

It's not a GNOME issue, ask on a Linux or Linux distribution mailing list
for more details...

I keep having to repeat: there is no point in looking at your memory usage
on modern Unix systems. Just do not bother. If you hear a lot of disk
activity or get noticeable slowness, then you are using enough memory to
cause swapping and slow down your system; otherwise you are not using that
much memory, and there is no reason to care how much you are using.

Looking at memory is a bad habit caused by Windows and MacOS.

Havoc