Annoyances and bugs in GNOME 1.0.40

In settings out to install GNOME 1.0.40 I decided to complile all the
tar.gz file using the command "rpm -ta", which worked really well for
most of the files, except the following:

   * libgtop:	   Unable to find file /usr/lib/libgtop
   * mc:	   Requires stylesheets (which I don't have, and don't
		   know where to get...)
   * gdm:	   Gives the following error:
		   Name field must be present in package.
		   (...)
   * gnome-python:	Unable to find files:
			/usr/lib/python1.5/site-package/gtkgl.py
			/usr/lib/python1.5/site-package/_gtkmodule.so
   * gnome-games:	Unable to find file /usr/share/metatris/*

I think this should be fixed for the upcoming 1.0.50 release, since it
really is the easiest way to complile the packages - I am aware that
RPM's will be made available, but for the people who like to compile
their own packages this is a really easy way to do it.

In order to compile the packages with the above-mentioned problem, I
edited the .spec files, and the compilation went smothly.

After having installed everything, I deleted my .gnome directory
(except for the apps directory - I would hate having to rebuld my menu
once again...), and rebooted the machine - I wanted to make sure
everything was as clean as possible.

So here is a list of the bugs and annoying thins I have found:

   * No matter what I do I always get asked if I "really want to log
     out". I disabled the "Prompt on logout" in the "Startup Programs"
     section of the Control Center, but it didn't help.
   * The sound-monitor applet cannot connect to the esound daemon,
     even thought opther programs such as mpg123 easily uses the
     daemon for sound output.
   * There is no high-score dialog available in any game (smae-gnome,
     gnometris, gnomine, etc.).
   * No matter what I do I cannot alter the dialog position or the
     dialog hints in the Dialog section of Control Center.
   * If the text contains international chars (I only tested with
     danish chars), it is truncated in the month view and in the year
     view of the Calendar, as well as in the icons on the desktop.

Any solutions to the above listed problems would be greatly
appreciated.

	--- Mads Villadsen
	    rogue_gambit@hotmail.com