Re: Keep menus in memory

On 28 Sep 1999 15:02:13 -0400, Daniel Weber <DWEBER1@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> I was just reading the Havoc interview on /. and saw several people complain
>> about the speed of Gnome. I think the most obvious thing that makes things
>> seem slow is the menu drawing. As I recall menus are not kept in memory by
>> default, meaning that the menu must be drawn, icons, text and all, every
>> time someone clicks on the menu.
>>
>> I would like to suggest that the default be for Gnome to keep menus in
>> memory. On my old P100 the menus were painfully slow with this option turned
>> off, even with the default theme, but they were quite fast, even with a full
>> pixmaped theme, with this feature turned on.
>>

>How is this toggled?  Thanks...

Right click on the panel.

Choose 'global properties'.

Select the 'Miscellaneous' tab.

The item is part of the 'Menus' group.

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.