Re: The Case of the Disappearing Panel

On 24 Sep 1999 14:11:52 -0400, Robert Drucker <robert@ocean.washington.edu> wrote:
>I'm running gnome on a Linux 6.0 install (Pentium II machine).  Lately the
>panel keeps disappearing.  Usually I'll be moving some window, and all of
>a sudden I notice that the panel is gone.  Sometimes a popup dialog box
>will appear asking me if I really want to start a second panel, but
>whether I answer yes or no I don't get my panel back.  I can
>ctrl-alt-backspace out of X, and when I restart X my panel is back, all
>nicely decorated as before.  Also, while out of X, I notice there are a
>lot of gnome errors listed on the screen that have no meaning to me.
>
>I use matlab a lot, and I think this problem has occured mainly (if not
>entirely) when matlab is running.  I've written to their technical support
>about it but they don't know from gnome.

If by "Linux 6.0" you meant "Red Hat Linux 6.0", please install the packages available
on ftp.gurulabs.com - they are a lot newer than what shipped with 6.0.

-- Elliot
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.