Keep menus in memory

I was just reading the Havoc interview on /. and saw several people complain about the speed of Gnome. I think the most obvious thing that makes things seem slow is the menu drawing. As I recall menus are not kept in memory by default, meaning that the menu must be drawn, icons, text and all, every time someone clicks on the menu.

I would like to suggest that the default be for Gnome to keep menus in memory. On my old P100 the menus were painfully slow with this option turned off, even with the default theme, but they were quite fast, even with a full pixmaped theme, with this feature turned on.

--Ben