RE: Change of hostname

On 23-Sep-99 Lee Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am completely new to Linux so you will have to forgive my ignorance.
>
> I have recently installed the Red Hat 6 distribution on my Intel PC.  The
> installation went fine and I have been playing around to familiarize myself
> with Linux.  I then decided to change the hostname of my PC via the netcfg
> program.  This seemed to work OK until I rebooted and tried to logon via the
> graphical logon screen.  I got a message saying that it was trying to
> resolve the Internet address for my PC.  This had never happened before and
> after quite a while it told me that it couldn't find it, and that Gnome
> would not function properly.  It also said that I could fix it by adding the
> name of my PC to the etc/hosts file, but it was already there.
>
> I had already set up all the networking aspects of my PC during the install
> and they were working fine.
>
> I am sorry if this is not specifically a Gnome problem, but due to my lack
> of knowledge, this was the first place I started.

        By default, Linux runs the named DNS name server. Try
killing this program or turning it off via config scripts, etc.
I think you can just rename /etc/named.boot to something else,
then reboot. If that clears up the problem, you need to
reconfigure your name service software to look in your hosts
file before doing a DNS search.

Date: 23-Sep-99  Time: 11:30:06

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor