Re: gdm/xdm setup

On 10-Sep-99 Roberto Zunino wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
>
>> thanks.... that's what I was looking for :-)
>>
>> One other oddity:  I removed the redhat logo and turned the background
>> black, adding xflame -root to $prefix/etc/gdm/Init/Default.  It seemed as
>> though xflame was running very strangely (slowly, glitchy) and a check of
>> top revealed two coppies of it running. killing one made it better.
>> I also tried Eterm -e top as part of $prefix/etc/gdm/Init/Default  this lead
>> to two instances of top!
>> I got rid of the Eterm line and had this:
>> killall xflame
>> xflame -root &
>> the problem with an ugly xflame went away, so it appears as though
>> $prefix/etc/gdm/Init/Default is being run twice. is this intentional?
>>
>> also, if xflame doesn't have the ampersand on the end, the gdm logon screen
>> doesnt appear. with the ampersand you have to click the mouse before it
>> appears, then, of course, you have to kill xflame as root once you are loged
>> in.
>>
>> suggjestions?
>>
>> thanks,
>>         Ben
>
> (assuming gdm2-beta)
>
> If you start something in Init, it must be non blocking: i.e. if the
> command doesn't return immediately (like xflame but unlike xv -root , for
> example) you must use the ampersand in order to run it in the background.
>
> Check that you have KillInitClients=1 in your $prefix/etc/gdm/gdm.conf in
> the [daemon] section: this option should kill what you start in Init
> so you don't have to kill it yourself.

        Sorry to be responding to this so long after the original post,
but ...

        I've had a similar problem with gdm version 1.0. Rather than
xflame, I run xmessage with a message about how you're not supposed
to be logging into this computer if you don't have any authorization,
etc., etc. Unfortunately, xmessage will generally be started twice,
even though the only place it's started is in the
<prefix>/etc/gdm/Init/Default file. It doesn't matter whether I use
the ampersand or not.

        Interestingly, this behavior usually doesn't occur until
the second time the gdm screen is displayed, IOW, after someone
has logged in and out once.

Date: 20-Sep-99  Time: 14:00:58

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor