wordexp hassle with screenshooter_applet

Trying to compile screenshooter_applet-0.6, I encountered this:

gcc -c -g -Wall `gnome-config --cflags applets`
gcc -o screenshooter_applet screenshooter_applet.o `gnome-config
--libs applets`screenshooter_applet.o: In function `grab_shot':
undefined reference to `wordexp'
undefined reference to `wordfree'
undefined reference to `wordexp'
undefined reference to `wordfree'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [screenshooter_applet] Error 1

There is <wordexp.h> on my machine (glibc 2.0), but no known library seems to
implement the damn functions (I nm'ed all over my lib directories).
Commenting out everything that uses wordexp*, I get a functional
applet, but it crashes as soon as it completes a screenshot.

I would love to have this thing work...

The Amiga is proof that if you build a better mousetrap, the rats will
gang up on you.
                                -- Bill Roberts bill.roberts@ensco.com