Re: wordexp hassle with screenshooter_applet

* Matthias Warkus (mawarkus@t-online.de) wrote:
> Trying to compile screenshooter_applet-0.6, I encountered this:
>
> gcc -c -g -Wall `gnome-config --cflags applets`
> screenshooter_applet.c
> gcc -o screenshooter_applet screenshooter_applet.o `gnome-config
> --libs applets`screenshooter_applet.o: In function `grab_shot':
> /usr/local/src/gnome/screenshooter_applet-0.6/screenshooter_applet.c:758:
> undefined reference to `wordexp'
> /usr/local/src/gnome/screenshooter_applet-0.6/screenshooter_applet.c:763:
> undefined reference to `wordfree'
> /usr/local/src/gnome/screenshooter_applet-0.6/screenshooter_applet.c:774:
> undefined reference to `wordexp'
> /usr/local/src/gnome/screenshooter_applet-0.6/screenshooter_applet.c:779:
> undefined reference to `wordfree'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [screenshooter_applet] Error 1
>
> There is <wordexp.h> on my machine (glibc 2.0), but no known library seems to
> implement the damn functions (I nm'ed all over my lib directories).
> Commenting out everything that uses wordexp*, I get a functional
> applet, but it crashes as soon as it completes a screenshot.
>
> I would love to have this thing work...
>
> mawa
> --
> The Amiga is proof that if you build a better mousetrap, the rats will
> gang up on you.
>                                 -- Bill Roberts bill.roberts@ensco.com

Hi,

Well, as I wrote the applet, I should try to help I guess ;)

The header file is certainly being found, as the compile gets through
to the linker stage. The linker cannot find the necessary library...

This function should be provided by glibc... This is tricky for me to
test, as I have glibc 2.1 here, but I'm _sure_ 2.0 also provides it?

Is the library in a directory which 'gnome-config --libs applets' is
aware of? Could you send me the output of this command?

Can any other Gnome developers help with this, it compiles fine on my
system.

(PS I use wordexp to perform word expansion on the directory and
filename for the screenshot, so the output of scripts or programs can
be used (eg date)).

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |