Compiling gnome-core-1.0.9-1

Hi,

Ok, I'm loosing some hair here and would appreciate some help before I
have to go to the hair club for men.

I am running redhat 5.2 on a pentium 75 box.
I'm trying to compile gnome-core-1.0.9-1 which I downloaded as a .src.rpm
package, but I'm not trying to --rebuild it with rpm because I want to use
fvwm2 as my wm.
I run the configure script w/ --prefix=/usr --with-included-gettext
--with-window-manager=fvwm2, and it seems to run just fine.  The most
drastic thing I can see is that it looks for a fvwm2.h file and doesn't
find it.
So then I type make and shortly after it starts up I get the following
error and subsequent death:

make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/redhat/BUILD/gnome-core-1.0.9/intl'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/src/redhat/BUILD/gnome-core-1.0.9/po'
file=./`echo es_DO | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
  && rm -f $file && PATH=../src:$PATH msgfmt -o $file es_DO.po
/bin/sh: msgfmt: command not found
make[2]: *** [es_DO.gmo] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/redhat/BUILD/gnome-core-1.0.9/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/redhat/BUILD/gnome-core-1.0.9'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

The first time I ran configure I didn't include the
--with-included-gettext option and the error was not being able to the
command "no" as opposed to this one of "msgfmt".  I thought the problem
might be due to not having that line, for as far as I can tell I don't
have a program by that name on my  computer.  Obviously this was not the
case.

Does anyone out there know what the things in this po subdirectory are and
what part of the configure is screwing up in creating my Makefile?  One
weird thing that would seem to be associated is the fact that in the
configure output there are two lines that are as follows:
checking for msgfmt... msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... msgfmt

which followed the line:
checking whether included gettext is requested... yes

Any relationship?

Please, please help!!!!!!

Cliff