Re: Suggestions for Thesis work

Todd Wilson <twilson@csufresno.edu> writes:

| It would be wonderful if someone could maintain a list of suitable
| project suggestions.  These projects would probably have to be
| self-contained -- it's hard to get thesis projects out of applications

When using shell in Unix or Linux one can pipe commands together to
get the result on wants. Simple example: cat somefile | grep something

Or one can get the result of an execution this way:

ls -l `find . -name "core"`

this will first find all the core files from this directory and down,
then it will list their sizes.

When one is dealing with GUI components and not commands in shell, one
cannot do this in the same way. But to get the same "strength" apps
should be able to cooperate to get a more powerful solution. This will
be more flexible and powerful than building monsterapps that
do everything.

Example: Gnome has a Calendar, but not a Project Manager (that I know
of at the moment at least)

Somebody writes a Project Manager, but without including a
calendar. Now what one wants to do is for the Project Manager to
communicate the Calendar to set up when the different parts of the
projects are to be done so that one have a time frame for the project
as well as.

This communication between GUI apps must go through CORBA (there might
be other solutions, but let's stick with CORBA here).

What would be a very nice project is for students to look at how to
get this corporation and flexibility using CORBA that one has with
shell commands. How one should design the interaction between the
different programs.

--
Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
[randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."