Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

On Tue, 07 Sep 1999, Govind Salinas wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:51:49 Stan Brown wrote:
> > 	I am just about rady to throw in the towel, and try a different
> > 	aproach.
> >
> > 	I started a couple of weeks ago with a clean Redhat 6.0 install to
> > 	configure a machine for a bunch of novice users. I wanted to set up a
> > 	nice defaul Gnome environemt for them.
> >
> > 	I went trhough and did all the setups by hand. Then I found Gnome would
> > 	misplace the panel. Without it you can't even log out cleanly.
> >
> I've had a similar expiriance. I installed my RedHat 6.0 and set up Gnome but
> When I loged out and back in it would not load up.  Occasionally it would give
> me a dialog box saying that there was a panel already started and if I would
> like to start another one.  I'd click yes and my panel would come up.  It
> would also constantly loose the applets I had loaded, only binging them up
> seemingly at random.  But after setting it up a few times and then turing the
> automatic session saving and saving it manually ( I think this helped ) it seems
> to have setteled down.

the panel always loses any mods i make to it.  every time, 100% of the
time.  nothing i do makes it better, even turning on the automatic
session saving.  i've even asked for help on this list multiple time,
but nobody has been able to help.  =8[

> Now I'm pretty happy with it.
>
> > 	I appealed to this list and it was sugested that I install Redhat;s
> > 	update rpm's for all the Gnome related stuff.
> >
> > 	The I atempeted to mass produce an envrionment for these suers. I never
> > 	did get this quite right, so finally I have up, created new user ID;s
> > 	for these folks, and satrted over tonite to create the environments one
> > 	by one by hand. Well at this point i have created 3, and 2 of these
> > 	users have lost the panel again!
> >
> > 	Needless to say I am frustrated.
> >
> So was I, but I liked the panel so much I didn't want to give up.

i don't want to either, but i've pretty much given up.  i'm figure i'll take an
extended break from it and eventually get back to it.  heck, i even
tried kde, but that just re-enforced my dislike of it.

pete

PGP signature