RE: [ANNOUNCE] New RPMs

On 03-Sep-99 Dax Kelson wrote about problems with db1/db2.

OK, I understand the new additions:

> gnome-libs-1.0.16-4
> gnome-devel-libs-1.0.16-4
> gmc-4.5.38-2
> mc-4.5.38-2
> mcserv-4.5.38-2

And I can understand removing imlib-1.9.6-1 because of the
reported problems (though I myself didn't experience any problems
that appeared to be imlib related: no colour changes and no problems
with Eterm-0.8.8 (Michael Perry reported problems with Eterm-0.8.9)).

But these are not the only changes on gurulabs. Instead of

glib-1.2.4-1
glib-devel-1.2.4-1
gtk+-1.2.4-1
gtk+-devel-1.2.4-1

which were posted yesterday, now are only to be found:

glib-1.2.3-1
glib-devel-1.2.3-1
gtk+-1.2.3-1
gtk+-devel-1.2.3-1

What is happening here. Are these the older versions again!
If so, why should we revert to the older versions again?

It is now completely unclear what is the best (least buggy) working
combination that embodies most of the recent changes and bug fixes.

Backing out of the newer versions to get a more stable setup is
going to be a bit of a bother for some beginners.
So a clear statement of what is really necessary and the best solution
might be a welcome addition.

By the way Dax, are the RH patches really necessary for any kind
of stability?

Alexande (RH 6.0 user).

Alexander Volovics
Dept of Methodology & Statistics