Re: image rendering screwed up

Quoting Sydney Weidman on Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 11:51:07PM -0500:
> I don't know exactly how to describe this problem, except to say that my
> desktop looks like it's been solarized. Everything appears red and
> yellow and pink -- no black, blue or green. The window decorations,
> desktop icons and icons on gnome toolbars are also screwed up
> (netscape's toolbar displays icons correctly, however) Even jpg's and
> png files have this problem when displayed with ee or gqview (but not
> with zgv). The problem only occurs if I am logged in as a user. root has
> normal display, no problems at all.
>
> This all occurred after I upgraded to the gnome-libs-1.0.16.src.rpm from
> ftp.gurulabs.com. I also upgraded imlib to the version of imlib rpm on
> the gurulabs site.
>
> What's wrong?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers!

FWIW, the installation of the imlibs package caused lots of problems here.
I had corresponded with the eterm developers because the recent version of
imlib breaks eterm's background display completely.  I did not see this
problem but I did have the metadata.db problem which finally was solved by
removing all the entries in ~/.gnome-desktop and then removing the
metadata.db in ~/.gnome.  I upgraded to the corrected version of the
gnome-libs and mc/gmc and had to remove all the entires and the metadata.db
and then reset things.  Now its back to normal.  There was an earlier
version of the gnome-libs put up at ftp.gurulabs.com which caused problems I
gather.  I could not get image rendering in eterm to work whatsoever after
the imlib upgrade.  I could not simply uninstall or rpm -e the imlib and
devel stuff either.  That broke a lot of dependencies.  I finally forced the
older rpms back in and then had duplicate rpms for imlib, imlib cfgedit, and
imlib devel.  I removed the later ones and then eterm worked again.

Pretty wierd all told.  I did not experience video distortion at the level
you are discussing though.  My regular desktop, panel, icons were okay.
Just the desktop object icons were messed up originally.

--
Michael Perry -			 "No one can give you wiser advice
mperry@tsoft.com	   .o O	  than yourself" -Cicero