Re: now i've done it ..

* Per Lejontand (pele@acc.umu.se) wrote:
> Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 09:40:49PM +0000 skrev Tom Gilbert:
>
> > You have some big problems with prefix. When you compiled gnome, did
> > you specify any of the following?
> > --prefix={somedir}
> > --sysconfdir={somedir}
> > --localstatedir={somedir}
> > If so, did you do this the same for _all_ parts of gnome you compiled?
> No only --prefixed them all. And yes i did it for all parts, but not into
> the same directory ..
>
> > I can't think you intended this.
> well, yeah i did, but i thought gnome was more modular than that. The intention
> of this way of compiling was to get individual parts of gnome (into an opt
> system) so each part could be easily maintained ...
>
> > My suggestion to you is to remove this copy of gnome (core, libs, and
> > whatever else you compiled in this manner), by running make uninstall
> > in the source dirs of each.
> Yeah probably this would be the best, but since i am a stubborn bastard, any
> ideas on which part that can be kept separated ? gnome-* should probably be in
> the same place, but what for the control-center for an instance ?

Well, I'm pretty sure they all need the same prefix.
I am writing a gnome app at the moment, and one installs the .desktop
and icon files to a directory determined from $prefix.

Gnome then looks in $prefix, and builds its menu from there. This is
just one example, but it goes for all gnome apps.

Basically, you can put gnome where ever you like, as long as you are
consistant. This may seem limiting, but I don't see a real need to
separate things in such a modular way.

If you ____really____ wanted to separate so much, you could probably
hack at the code, or create a few symlinks to fix things up, but it
wouldn't be clean.

> > That should fix you up. I'm sure this stuff is described in the docs.
> Im not sure they are desfribed in this way, or anyhows it doesnt (to my
> knowledge) say that some parts have to be compiled with the same prefix ..

I guess it could be clearer then. Quite a few gnome packages ship with
the default, generic, automake created INSTALL file. It wouldn't be
too much effort to add a few handy hints to the top of this file...

> Thanks tom ..
>
> --
>
> //Per - just got himself another bunch of fun compiling hours :)
Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |